Wednesday, November 22, 2006

2 Days under the wrath of a Nor'easter an' it feels like we can venture outside now an' not feel like we'll end up somewhere over in the Dismal Swamp ~~ This storm has been everything it was promoted to be ~~ lottsa wind -- rain, rain an' more rain -- but it was difficult to decide which direction it was coming from...what with winds over 40 mph, the wind was comin' from Everywhere. THANK HEAVENS -- it's slowin' down now...shwwoooo...

It's also the day before Thanksgiving -- Fortunately the groceries have ben taken care of...last year w/no income it was not an especially joyful day..somber at best. But now that The Husband is gainfully employed an' enjoying it..we are able to get the lil' goodies we couldn't buy last year. Even found a good turkey for not too high a price...wow...but it still rankles when I think that some guy is raising these birds an' probably isn't gettin' didly squat for the things...sigh...BUT - it is fun to go in and look at the grocery shelves with all the trimmings for the traditional holiday here in the U.S. -- Thought about getting fresh cranberry's, but couldn't decide if the time to make the sauce would be worth the effort...plus, the recipe I had from New England has somehow dissapeared...without a doubt I'll find it when I want to make a lemon pie for 4th of July ...never fails. Or like the year before last -- couldn't find the pumpkin pie receipe I wanted, an' somewhere around Labor Day it make it's appearance. "OH! Look! Here's just the thing I need!!" ~~ I swanny ~~ I figure anymore thatI deserve all the grey hairs I've got on me little head..

The Art stuff is still goin' strong...I'm waiting for the middle son to get thru with whatever it is he's making noise about....sounds like a drum machine...a guitar slightly out of tune...an' something like...uhmmm.... oh blast....I have No Idea What -- SOMETHING!! ~~ He'll be done soon...I think...

An' while thinking back on getting receipes ~~ I had a thot of making something from one of my old cookbooks ~~ Maybe a little different kinda thing. Looked at Aspic (sp) receipe's...I've no idea of what it is...but the author of the book said up & down that they were quite good, an' would make any guest jus' feel at home. What kind of home, I've no clue, as just the name of the thing..or stuff...sorta/kinda freaked me out. Turning the page didn't help much, as there were more odd things...Finally I started to look at some other kind of pies...Mincemeat looked interesting...found an old one that required using some kind of lean meat...lamb or something. That automatically put that idea out the window...price of lamb is more than gettin' some gas put in The Very Fine Car, so that page got turned, too. Flipped thru some more pages an' thot about baking a cake..but then realized I've never made a 2-layer cake in my entire life, an' the image of me tryin' to frost all this mess...I mean, I could see pieces of the cake fallin' off the side an' top of what I jus' got out of the oven...stickin' to the knife with all the frosting blobbed on...uhh...yeah, that page got turned too...

But I've still got the instant-made-frozen pie shells sittin' in the freezer, an' since the guys like havin' those, slathered with some whipped cream, well, why mess with somethin' else that may create a moment of bedlam in the kitchen? It'd be like if The Husband said he was gonna whip up a batch of cookies with chocolate (oh blast, that doesn't look like it's spelled right...) pieces...Visions of goo all over the kitchen flash everywhere...

Anyway -- Things will quiet down after the meal is over with...everybody will be sleeping an' the television will be blasting to no one in particular, about who knows what. The Dog will be laying smack dab in the middle of front room, no doubt right where I'll be walking by. I SHALL NOT FALL OVER HER!!!

Lady of The Tulips ~~ who's distracted now 'cause the youngest jus' walked in the house, an' is askin' a gazillion questions...an' now fighting with his older brother.....ahh...siblings...

No comments: