Friday, April 27, 2007

YAHOO!! And can we hear it again!! YAHOO!!!

There has been a delay on the posting of this blog due to some unforseen circumstances beyound my absolute control -- that is -- this old computer has been giving me fits, spits, ulcers and other assorted things that I wont go into here ---- suffice to say that today is the first day that I've been able to get back HERE!!

I've been working away on lots of little projects -- and probably will be able to post them tomorrow. I've gotten my frames all done, and am hoping that the weather will cooperate enuf so that when I take some pictures of them, the sunlight will show some of the detail I've made on each of them. I've gotten so sick of painting little pieces of tissue to adhere to the wood of the frames, that I started to question my sanity. I mean, I know I'm sorta cracked, but after tearing pieces that were sometimes less than 1/4" in size, and tearing LOTS of them, I really sat at my little table and wondered if this was the best thing that I could be doing. Time consuming, sure, but the overall effect was well worth it. I may even make a couple more using the same method but I have to take a break from all the little scraps and give 'er a rest.

We've gotten our vege seeds in the mail, and now that the weather is finally cooperating, I've started lots of little pots of seeds...3 pots each of 3 different varieties. I've gotten away from using slicing tomatoes for paste and salsa, and have only used paste tomatoes for the last couple years. We grew so many 2 years ago, that the freezer has been stocked ever since. And just this last week, my youngest said we're finally down to the last 6 quart bags of frozen tomatoes. So, my planting was done in the nick of time. Roma has always done really well here, and I've got those in little pots. Speckled Roman tomato is one that I'm going to try this year, and I've had success with Banana Legs too, so those are all comfy in their little pots. I found some good prices thru Pinetree Garden Seeds for a long time, and bought some Basil, Oregano and Chives seeds this year too. I had some hollyhocks in the garden a couple years ago, but they finally died out, which made me sad. So this year, I got some more of those, and a packet of Monets Sunflowers. They did really good in one of our flower beds along a big fence last year, and after The Husband staked them up after a tropical storm tried to knock them down, they bloomed EVEN MORE!! So those are going in the front yard this year, and along the backyard fence again -- kinda hides the thing so it doesn't look so ugly.

I got some little signs made up for the vege beds and the flower beds this year too -- I am ALWAYS forgetting what seeds I plant in different beds every year...no matter how hard I try, I meander out in the garden, pop the plants out of their little pots, (where the label clearly says what each one is) get 'em in the ground, and promptly forget which plant is which. The only way I can tell the tomatoes from one another, is once they start to develop the actual "Fruit" ~~ then I know. But in the meantime, I'm as lost as can be. It drives my youngest to absolute fits with me -- "You can't remember what you have out there??!!" "Uhhh...well, actually...uhhh..." Makes me feel like an absolute toad...and speaking of toads -- We've had a REALLY large toad living in the front flower beds for years ~~ Every now and again I'll see him and it sorta freaks me out...this big ol' brown creature popping up outta the mud...but I had an even bigger Suprise the other day while weeding the bed for the St. John Wort...got to pulling some clover out (Which got put right back down for mulch) and was setting some dried leaves back in the bed, when something got flipped around in the air with the leaves, then plopped back down in the middle of them. I took a second look to see what it was, and at first all it looked like was some sort of maybe large coin...sorta grey/brown, round with little bits of yellow edging. WELL -- I came to an absolute STOP right then, and veryy gingerly picked up whatever this little thing was. And lo and behold -- it was a baby TURTLE!!! OH! my Stars and Garters!! It was the cutiest little thing I've seen in a long long time. I turned him (HER??) around in my fingers, and it stared at me and actually blinked it's eyes at me. That made me feel terrible, like I disturbed it's routine or something (Do turtles have a routine?) So I very carefully laid him (her) back in amongst the leaves, and ran in the house to tell my youngest.

Ever get a look from somebody like, well, maybe you've had too much to drink, but in actuality you're absolutely stone sober? That's how I felt when I started to tell my son that there was a baby turtle in the flower bed. There was this...SIGH...then he came outside to see for sure that I wasn't making this story up. HA!! Wasn't HE suprised when he saw the little critter too!! An me being me, I'm gushing all about this little thing, walking thru the leaves at their SLOW pace.."AHhh...LOOK!! at his little tail!!" I'm nearly yelling....The youngest wasn't all that impressed and went back in the house to check some prices on baseball cards...humph....shows what kind of wild animal lover he is....NO -- he really does love things in the yard, but he just wasn't all that excited about the turtle. Maybe this just shows that perhaps I need to get a life or something....

Well -- it's off to the art store to get some more poster board and a sheet of mat board too....I've got to get some paper painted this afternoon before driving over to the truck terminal to get The Husband...he's got his truck back after it needed some work done on it...the alternater (sp) was trying to burn itself to pieces 2 weeks ago, while The Husband was sitting in traffic, so the dispatcher decided to give him another truck in the meantime...I'm too chicken to ask how much it cost to make the repairs...actually I'm glad I DIDN'T have to pay for it!!

Lady of The Tulips -- who has The Dog laying next to her on the floor..we had a little rainstorm and she naturally came in here to hide..if she was snoring any louder I think my youngest could hear her in the front room....sheesh...

1 comment:

PennyBlue said...

WOW! You have been one busy bee! And don't worry, I question my sanity all the time!! lol Can't wait to see those frames now!!