Friday, December 04, 2009



A few weeks ago, this houseplant in our front room started getting this little shoot, straight out of the top of the plant ~~ I didn't know what to think about it, just thot that it was going to develop some new leaves or something..

Then it started to get these wonderful flowers on it - and they kept growing and growing ~ Getting longer along the main stem, and then they just sort of sat and didn't do anything.

Until yesterday.

I had come back from another trip to the Vet Hosp. - Sara had caught one of her nails on her back right foot on some of the stitches along her belly, so that was a disaster..but she got all patched up and sent on home.

But she isn't what this is all about ~~ This is about walking into my front room, to sit down and just relax and turn on some jazz on the satellite dish. Sort of listen and zone out for all of maybe 5 minutes. That'd be enuf to get me feeling better.

Then I noticed this fragrance sort of drifting around the room.

No, The Dog didn't fart. Tho she is known to do such things, and clear out a room at the same time.

Nope ~ This is about these beautiful flowers, growing from the top of my house plant ~~ They suddenly decided to open out, with their tubular petals all open, and giving the room the most amazing fragrance I've ever smelled. I mean, FOR REAL ~~ The fragrance is something like a gardenia plant in full bloom in the middle of summer ~~ Very intoxicating, rich and full. Smelling it makes you feel like your in the tropics, with a nice cool drink in your hand, while your sitting on a soft and dreamy couch, on a long and wonderful porch.

Well, our front room isn't quite all that. But the fragrance from these flowers is. I mean, it was so suprising, I can't begin to tell you how wonderful these are. I thot the plant was a Indian Rubber Plant ~~ But noah sez it's totally something else...some name I've never heard of. I've had the plant for YEARS - it finally got growing much better after we moved down here - it has this somewhat sunny location along the wall - and it has probably grown 2 feet since last summer.

Same pot, same soil. Different location.

Go figure.

But I wanted to share this with you ~ It is just pretty amazing to me. I've never seen one of these plants bloom, and I've also never seen one get quite this tall before. But I'm not a botanist, so I'm not sure what to say ~~

'Cept it's pretty spectacular!

I'm Gone....


Lady of The Tulips

3 comments:

Darla said...

Amazing! I've seen that houseplant before but never seen it in bloom. Don't know the name of it either. But still... I'm amazed!

Darla

LadyTulip said...

Oh Darla, when it started to get the flowers, I was so suprised! - I just sit and stare at the plant, esp. at night when all the flowers open up ~ The fragrance is totally incredible. Who knew?!!

L.

turquoise cro said...

mmmmmmMMM, I can almost smell it here in West Virginia!!! hehe Nope, that's my sweet potato in the oven!!! hehe