Monday, November 17, 2008

>>> This morning the weather is telling us that yes, it really and truly is Fall <<< When I got out of bed, this back portion of the house was feeling just a little bit chilly, and the dining room wasn't much warmer. Noah was sitting at the kitchen bar, reading the newspaper and drinking coffee. I could see that the woodstove needed to get started up, an' zoom, that's 'xatly what I did. Now it feels good, warm and toasty thru the cabin. The wind outside isn't all that strong, but with the temps just out of the 40's, it DOES say FALL!!


This last weekend was quite the "Discovery" weekend for me. I'd wanted to go check out some thrift stores for frames, which I need for my canvases. At first I'd planned to go up into Elizabeth City to search out what there is...But on the highway leading into town, right along the secondary road, was this Big Blue building, with the words ANTIQUES -- AUCTION. printed in relly LARGE letters. Now, I've gone past that building for who knows how many times, and I swanny, I've never taken one look at it, till Saturday afternoon. "WHOA!!" I say to Tom. "What's that," He sez.. "LOOK!! You can't see that?" He, driving the car, doesn't want to look away from the road.."See what?!" "That antique store..ohhh..wait, It's an Antique Mall. We're goin' in.!"

So, with some reluctance, tom pulls the car into the dirt driveway, an' since he can be a 3 year old, "I don' wanna go in..I know..You go in first, an' then come back out & tell me what it's like.." That produces headache # 4.565 for the weekend..ANYWAY -- I go in an' immediately Thot WHHOOOAA..this is way too cool. An' even tho I was on the hunt for frames, I quickly changed that idea to a "New" work table. I walked back to the car, told tom my plan of attack, walked back in, an' found just the right size table. It's not that old, maybe 1950's -- wood,with something like a pine stain on it, solid top and gently curved legs. We didn't have the $$ right then, but since the place was nearly deserted, we figured that if we go back this sat., then we can pick up the table. I also found some really old handmade lace table runners, crochet doilies, and place settings. They are to die for. And a collection of 3 was $3.50. Yeah, I'm definetly goin' back an' pick up some of those. I also will be looking for a small hutch, to put in here for storage. I've given up on the idea of shelves attached to the walls; tom & noah have no inclination to do the work, so I know I saw 3 small hutches that would fit along the wall by the doorway, giving me not only space to store things inside, but also 2 shelved on the top of the hutch to display items. It popped into my head last night while reading, an' I thot, "Ok, tha's what I'll do!" So it'll be good to get some work started in here..it's rather dark an' miserable in this room, what with the old wallpaper, smoke stains...yup, it needs some work!

~~ Muse go an' check the woodstove, make sure Sara isn't getting herself in trouble on the deck, an' see if noah is getting the wood box filled. A good monday I'm wishing for you!

Lady of The Tulips ~

2 comments:

PennyBlue said...

Feels like winter here Lady!! Good luck with that all that! i'm tryin to clean out and organize too. AND STAY WARM! Miss ya! BJ HUGS!

LadyTulip said...

>> BLUEJUDE!! HII!! <<

Yup -- even here by the shore, it's downright cold -- wishing I could ignore the cleaning bit...howEVAH ~~ must get things straightened out!!

Missed You Kiddo!! Come back & Visit!!

L.